SilvestriniCity

SilvestriniCity
Lindsey, Reed, Paige and Justin

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Growing Up

The terrible two's have been really rough for us with Reed. You can just see the struggle for independence as he's trying to find his place in this great big world. Everything has become a battle. Because he's so tender hearted I've been worried about pushing him into anything he's not ready for that most kids his age are dealing with (potty training, big boy bed, pre-school etc). I want to protect him as long as I can so I figure we'll do things in his time. With our daily battles I didn't want to add anything to it that might push him over the edge (and me).

Someone recently gave us a twin bed set. I've been hesitant to move Reed out of his crib. He still fits, never climbs out and seems to find comfort in it. Since they can stay in it until they're four I figured, what's the rush? Unfortunately, the lack of space in our garage pushed the issue. I set up the mattress on his floor with his new Thomas the Train bedding he got for Christmas from Grandma and Grandpa just to see how he'd react but didn't take down the crib right away. He played on it a couple days and said he wanted to sleep in it one night. It was a rough couple nights. I ended up sleeping in the bed with him!

On the third day we set up the bed frame and for whatever reason, this changed everything! He LOVED it and was so excited to sleep in and play on his "big boy" bed! This was a week ago and he hasn't gotten out of bed since! We took down the crib and he didn't even care! I got a little teary eyed putting away the bedding he's slept on for almost three years but Reed happily said goodbye!

Since then I've seen a lot of changes in Reed. Maybe it's just a coincidence or maybe it's because we handed him a little bit of independence. His attitude has changed and there hasn't been a single tantrum, a lot less tears and just a better spirit all around! Whatever the reason, we've definitely turned a corner with him and are so excited to see the little man he is becoming!

Here I was thinking I was protecting him from growing up too fast. Maybe I was just protecting myself and in the process was holding him back. Or maybe it was just the right time! It just goes to show, regardless of what other kids their age are or aren't doing, your child is an individual and will be ready to do things in their own time! I am so proud of Reed and this little step towards growing up he took!






"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:

a time to be born and a time to die,

a time to plant and a time to uproot,

a time to tear down and a time to build,

a time to weep and a time to laugh,

a time to mourn and a time to dance,

a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

a time to search and a time to give up,

a time to keep and a time to throw away,

a time to tear and a time to mend,

a time to be silent and a time to speak,

a time to love and a time to hate,

a time for war and a time for peace." Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

1 comment: