SilvestriniCity

SilvestriniCity
Lindsey, Reed, Paige and Justin

Monday, April 9, 2012

Mini Me

Today we went for a family hike behind the park by our house.  There is a wash with lots of rocks and dirt to play in!  We call these "Treasure Hunts" so whenever the kids pick something up we say "trash or treasure?"  Ninety five percent of the time it's trash but it's amazing what kids decide is a treasure! 

To me the treasure is of course, spending time with my whole family enjoying the California sunshine together!  Today was just a little bit hotter than comfortable and we were all sweating within five minutes of starting.  We went extra far and walked in the wash all the way up to Brookside Ave which was a decent hike, especially with two toddlers and the sun beating down!

I noticed while we were walking that Reed was very cautious and always took the safest path, using his hands to balance himself.  Paige on the other hand, always takes the road less traveled!  She would go over rocks when she didn't need to and say things like "Mama, I'm gonna climb up the side of that cliff!"  And that she did!  She slipped and fell flat on her face no less than ten times!  Only once did she actually cry and that was a pretty good hit! She also attempted to climb a barbed wire fence and was swinging around boards with nails from a construction site.  The girl has no fear!

At the end of our hike we had to climb up a bunch of boulders to get out of the wash up to the street.  Once again, Reed was talking the safest way possible and Paige was scaling huge rocks when she could have simply gone around.  Reminded me of a time I went hiking in Zion National Park and came out in a medivac helicopter!

It's funny how both my kids have gotten different parts of me but they are complete opposites of each other.  I am cautious like Reed in certain areas like finances, health, major decisions etc.  But when it comes to the outdoors and an adventurous spirit, I'm all about taking the risks just like Paige! 

I love watching my kids grow and develop their completely seperate personalities and yet I see some of me in each of them!  They are each amazing in their own right and I am blessed to have the priviledge of being their mom!

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.  Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.  Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!  He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate."  Psalm 127:  3-5

1 comment: